As a charitable company, Trustees are also company directors and must comply with the legal requirements relating to company directors.
CASS Directors are all volunteers and come from a variety of backgrounds. Some are either carers or former carers but all have a commitment to the support and well-being of carers. The Board of Directors (known as the Executive Board) is responsible for the control and management of the administration of the charity and for its strategic direction.
By law, Directors have a number of duties:
- To ensure that the charity complies with its governing document, charity law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- To ensure that the charity pursues its charitable objects as defined in its governing document
- To ensure that charity applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects, i.e. the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are
- To contribute actively to the Board of Directors’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Highlight services available to young carers and their families and encourage their use so that young carers have opportunities in life available to other young people.
- To safeguard the good name and values of the charity
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the charity
- To ensure the financial stability of the charity
- To protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure the proper investment of the charity’s funds
- If the charity employs staff, to appoint and support the Chief Operating Officer and monitor his/her performance
In addition to the above statutory duties of all trustees, each trustee should use any specific knowledge of experience they have to help the Board of Directors reach sound decisions. This will involve scrutinising Board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues and providing advice and guidance requested by the Board on new initiatives, or other issues relevant to the area of the charity’s work in which the trustee has special expertise.
Current CASS Directors are: ( click on each to reveal photo and short testimony )
If you need to contact the Directors please call CASS on 01785 222365 and leave a message.